Thoughts and pictures of my local minor league baseball team the New York Penn League Connecticut Tigers; a Detriot farm team. We'll still be looking at former Navigators/Defenders players along the way....

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Defs give it away in 11 innings 6-2 and split with

the B-Mets and drop the homestand with 3 victories and 5 losses. The recap is canceled on the advice of my doctor; something about high blood pressure, my age, family history, etc. etc. But I feel compelled to note that Pat Dobson went 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles, TI continues to move his average up with a 2 for 5 a triple included, Todd Jennings went 2 for four and pitcher Ben Cox knocked in both Defs runs with a RBI single.

Why wasn't Brian Anderson closing? Why was Minicozzi sac bunting not once but twice? How happy am I that I was at work for this one?

Good crowd: 4400 kids.

5 Comments:

Blogger thehondohurricane said...

Two failed sacrifice attempts really hurt along with awful baserunning. Only thing I question about the pitching is where was Alex Hinshaw? Clutch hitting AWOL again.

Hustle play of the day. On the Coranado triple in the 3rd, relay throw to Simon was wild, ten feet to his left. Backing up the play and saving a run, LF Carlos Sosa. Unanswerable question: If EME was in left, what would the result have been? Alas, next batter hit Sac Fly anyways.

Distressing article published by the Day. Maybe I'm naive, but I always thought the revenue from billboard and other advertising covered most, if not all, of the fixed expenses. But this whole issue smells bad. Where the hell has DiBella been? We could be witnessing the end of a franchise.

9:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

greg....what is wrong with nick p?

it seems he has totally lost his control...

think you can chat with stanley a bit?

and whats this? are the defenders owners mismanaging the team?

1:38 AM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

The money situation is a three way mess between the town, staduim authority and the team. The team owes the back rent and other things to the tune of about $200,000. The town owns Dodd the staduim authority is an arem of the town. The staduim authority has requested $400,000 worth of work to maintain and upgrade the place but doesn't have the funds to perform the work because the amount rent owed wouldn't pay for it if collected anyway. Meanwhile the authority owes the team money since the team pays for police coverage and then bills the authority for.

It's a mess. Meanwhile unless the weather is pitch perfect and it's Friday fireworks or the rare DARE Day like yesterday it's me, hondo, lc, some scouts, team staff and the usual collection of a couple hundred diehards augmented by whatever amount of random folks decide to show up that game.
It's a great place, I love it, can't wait to take my grand-daughter there soon, we are so blessed to have it and no one shows up.
I'll see if I can get a moment with Steamer about Nick.

9:33 AM

 
Blogger lance aka lc said...

I'm glad I overslept.............

I did catch game 2 in New Britain though.

9:35 AM

 
Blogger thehondohurricane said...

For what it's worth, D Mac said Periera was aiming the ball, not throwing it. Probably release point or some other crapola. Bottom line is, he's missing the plate consistently. I've seen him pitch 3 or 4 times already and he hasn't been awe inspiring, just awful.

10:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home