Thoughts and pictures of my local minor league baseball team the New York Penn League Connecticut Tigers; a Detriot farm team. We'll still be looking at former Navigators/Defenders players along the way....

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Random thoughts......

as hell week has wrapped up for me and I ease my way back into blog-world:

1.) The big news is obviously the "reassignment" of Defs manager Dave Machemer. WHY...with a whopping 5 weeks left and a last place club make this move? Maybe the Giants brass wanted a fresh set of eyes on this team? Maybe it was a reactive move to Sabean seeing a pair of stinko games in New Britain? Maybe no one has a clue in Giants upper mgmt? Who's accountable for a farm system that was not produced a single regular position player in at least 5 years? Obviously not Sabean who just got a contract extension. Anyway at least Mac still has a job as a scout and I hope there is no pay cut.
Despite the lousy record at least Mac was aggressive on the bases. The TI and EME busts sure didn't help and the promotion of Brian Horwitz further weaken the offensive. Starting pitching never gets a lot of runs to work with.

2.) If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that Steve Holm and John Bowker would be the breakout players on the team this year I would not have believed it.

3.) Brooks McNiven stinging together a nice little run here. This year's version of Geno Espineli.

4.) Guys.....can we please score some runs for Garrett next time he takes the hill!!!

5.) Doubtful I'm getting up to NB this season......

6.) How will the trading deadline impact this Defs squad. When the Yankees were here it was always pretty interesting what Navigators were moved/traded.

7.) Went to tonights game: Pretty retro feel to the Defenders as they looked more like the Norwich Navigators of 2004 and 2005 with Shane Turner back as manager, and players Tyler Von Schell, Steve Holm, Jake Wald, Joe Bateman and the 2007 debut/return of Julio Cordido all on the field. I had my Chris Curry uni on tonight to complete the look.
What's Julio doing back here?

8.) From Joe Perez's blog a good interview with Sabean, who has never to my knowledge been to Dodd, and sounds like he really doesn't care where the team plays as long as it's in the EL. And another good post about local media coverage.
Good job by Joe being in NB and putting himself in the position to interview Sabean. Wish Joe would cover the Defs exclusively when they're in town and then take his days off when the team is on the road but you need a life too.

9.) Giants' PDA with Connecticut is up in 2008. I hope we get another affiliate like the Mets because I think that's what Lou still wants and I hope that keeps us here beyond 2009.

10.) Thanks Lance for the posts while I was away!

5 Comments:

Blogger thehondohurricane said...

Lance,

I think the SJ infielder we were trying to put a name to is Brian Bocock.

Greg,

Harbor Park's capacity is 5300 + 200 SRO. Sounds like it's doable, if the other amenities can be updated to meet Baseball's specifications. Sounds like it could be a legit threat to my BB habit.

3:17 AM

 
Blogger mdeep04 said...

I completely agree with this! Garrett needs a win! But I have faith, he'll come back with a bang.

4.) Guys.....can we please score some runs for Garrett next time he takes the hill!!!

2:41 PM

 
Blogger lance aka lc said...

Thanks......

Glad the kids are winning but the dudes who fired DM can still kiss my @$$.
No mention of the change on the team site.

Chamberlain and Kennedy got sent to Scranton, Clippard and Chase Wright got sent down to Trenton.

3:04 PM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

Good point about a lack of mention about Mac's leaving. Here's a guy who's been with the team 2.75 seasons and not a public mention of thanks and support in the future on the team website?

11:09 PM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

I guess the Yank really want the EL crown as those guys will be pitching in Sept.

11:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home