Thoughts and pictures of my local minor league baseball team the New York Penn League Connecticut Tigers; a Detriot farm team. We'll still be looking at former Navigators/Defenders players along the way....

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Defs drop final '08 home game 7-4 today.....





as GB (13-9 3.83 ERA) gave up three long balls in his 6 IP. Ryan Roberson (big guy) hit a three run jack (#23) in the top of the first as the Erie SeaWolves jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Connecticut battled right back as AR tripled and came in on a wild pitch. Carlos Sosa then walked and Adam Witter tied up the game with his 18th homer of the year.
GB then gave up solo homers to Delik Scram (13) in the third and Casper Wells (16), his second in as many days, in the fifth.
Nate Bump relieved GB and gave up a run in his two innings of work as Erie stretched it's lead to 6-3.
Connecticut got a run back in the bottom of the 8th on Witter's ground rule double to right and Simon Klink's RBI single. Erie pushed across an unearned run in the ninth inning off Ronnie Ray to wrap up the scoring at 7-4. CT has now lost 5 in a row.

Misc fan notes: Took a ton of pics today as the Defs were wearing special jerseys honoring Roberto Clemente. I'll start posting a few a day over the next week or so.
Team announced today's attendance as just under 5000 pushing the home attendance over 200K.
Club owner Lou DiBella was on hand today. All fans got a free gift, nice touch.

I saw the Defs play a total of 54 times (new high) this season (My W/L record ended up being 25-29) and I would be remiss if I didn't recognize the outstanding front office and game staff on hand that always made me feel welcome and always had kind words about this humble blog. Stay healthy and see you all next season!!

Pics: from top to bottom: It was Olmo Rosairo's birthday today, coach Vicor Torres was getting pics of himself with all the players--most of the poses were to the back of me but here's Olmo taking a group pic of AR, Torres and Carlos Sosa, Klink with the play at first, your final home score of '08

7 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

Me and Jessie Bear got Cowbells! :)

It was a fun game but it was what the Defenders were all season...almost almost almost almost..ugghhh...

Ya know?

7:00 PM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

I know too well!!

7:12 PM

 
Blogger AR fan said...

Greg,
Thanks again for all your efforts. I really got into checking the blog this season. I now consider myself a true CT Defender fan and really feel part of this small but faithful community b/c of your blog. My son and I attended 31 games ...he "capped" off the season by getting AR's home cap.
Do you keep this going during the off-season?
Anyway, best regards!

7:38 PM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

AR,
Thanks for the kind words!
Good deal your son getting Ar's cap!
I keep the blog going as much as I can during the off season as news permits. Should be interesting to see what happens with the PDC and if the Giants or another team (Marlins, Brewers) sign with CT.
I made a goal for myself to post at least once a day at the start of the season and except for a power outage last month I'll make that goal.
Maybe I'll post a picture a day--I have enough-- until the start of the '09 season.

greg

8:07 PM

 
Blogger greenlemon15 said...

Well it is sad to see the season end but it has been a good run. I can't wait till next year. Great blog. Keep up the great work.

9:59 AM

 
Blogger thehondohurricane said...

Other then the Pablo/Ryan period, I never was nuts about this team. Too little hitting,(especially with RISP), weak defense, and spotty pitching. Things I'm looking forward to: No more EME, if they are sent here, the pitching prospects in A ball. Probably gone, but I'll remember them fondly for their effort: Sosa, Klink, Witter, Haines, and my favorite, Jake.

3:34 PM

 
Blogger AR fan said...

Hondo,
I agree, Haines was certainly a terrific competitor. I never saw Kyle give away an AB or not run hard. And how could anyone dislike Wald?...good player, great guy.
Of course, I wouldn't mind watching Antoan again...30 stolen bases while hitting .240. How many could he swipe if he hit .265?

4:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home