Thoughts and pictures of my local minor league baseball team the New York Penn League Connecticut Tigers; a Detriot farm team. We'll still be looking at former Navigators/Defenders players along the way....

Thursday, December 18, 2008

#21 is back--Dave Machemer to manage Augusta...


From the Augusta Chroncile dated 12/15/08:

"When the Augusta GreenJackets take the field in April to defend their South Atlantic League championship, they'll do so with almost an entirely new coaching staff.

Dave Machemer, a 57-year-old, veteran minor league manager, will lead the GreenJackets in 2009 with help from Nava, pitching coach Steve Kline and trainer James Petra.

"I'm thrilled. I really am," Machemer said. "Last year was a little different for me, and I'm happy to be getting back into the hands-on, day-to-day routine of managing. I think I'm better at that."

Machemer, who will begin his 18th season as a minor league manager this spring, has served as a scout for the San Francisco Giants for portions of the past two seasons after being reassigned from his position as manager of the Double-A Connecticut Defenders midway through the 2007 season.

The 2007 Defenders were 41-58 and in last place in the Eastern League when Machemer was reassigned, but he came back in 2008 to manage the Arizona League Giants to a rookie ball championship.

Machemer said he could be reunited with many of the players on last season's rookie ball team.

"I'm going to have some of those guys, and I'm looking forward to it," he said. "But it's going to be tough to top last year's team."

The GreenJackets have reached the postseason each of the past three years highlighted by last season's 93-50 record and SAL Championship. Andy Skeels, last year's GreenJackets manager, has been promoted to manage the Advanced-A San Jose Giants."

Giants really shaking up their minor league mgmt. teams for '09. Why does that picture remind me of the '07 EL All-Star Game???

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad that kline has decided to turn to coaching

he should end up being a fan fave in augusta

9:15 PM

 
Blogger AR fan said...

yeah....I remember Bowker trying to track down that flyball in the pea soup.

9:43 PM

 
Blogger lance aka lc said...

Go Dave! He and Rocket Wheeler from the Pelicans are my two favorite minor league managers in terms of being cool with the fans.

There was a great picture of Dave and E. Velez from the '07 EL all star game on the milb website back then. FOGGy.

9:58 PM

 
Blogger thehondohurricane said...

I'm pretty sure the pix of Mach is from the 1st game of a twinbill won by Norwich vs Bowie in ???. 2nd game was fogged out.

By all accounts, Mach was a nice guy according to all who knew him. But he was not a very good AA mgr. The majority of his winning seasons were in the lower levels. This is my only worry about Decker. You never know how players will perform in higher levels, so why not managers too?

I'm also curious why the Giants didn't move Treblehorn up from S...K...

6:21 AM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

Pic was taken on 6/30/05. And as Hondo noted, Bowie won 4-0 and Game 2 was ppd.

10:32 AM

 
Blogger Dfensfan said...

2007 ASG here, oh boy is all I can say haha. Besides being foggy, I don't think it was run that well either. I mean there ended up being many many disappointed fans who could not obtain autographs from the players of both teams, including myself. They should've started the signings at noon. And then the dang fire alarm went off. And then they had to shorten the HR Derby, and then it got foggier and foggier and foggier. I was able to obtain 2 seats for my mom and I a few rows above visitors dugout, where we don't usually sit. I feel very bad for two very nice Akron Aeros fans that had made their trip, all the way from Ohio just to see this ASG. Where is the '09 EL ASG going to be at?

12:14 PM

 
Blogger thehondohurricane said...

the fogged out game i remember, the defs/navs won game 1. going to have to check the old scorebook and get back to you.

1:41 PM

 
Blogger AR fan said...

Hondo,
Love Treb! Talked to him @ a game in Balt. when he was on their coaching staff. He took my name and address and sent me an autographed pic and nice note. Still think he did an awesome job w/ the Brewers way back when.

2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home