Thoughts and pictures of my local minor league baseball team the New York Penn League Connecticut Tigers; a Detriot farm team. We'll still be looking at former Navigators/Defenders players along the way....

Monday, September 21, 2009

2009 was a great ride....

but now Double A baseball prepares to move south to Richmond. A championship would be been the icing on the cake but the team fell short. A great team lead by Brock Bond Bond, Brett Pill and yes, I have to give EME props. We got a glimpse of the Giants pitching future with Madison Bumgarner as well. We got real September baseball i.e. playoffs, for the first time since 2002.
The future of affiliated ball at Dodd is unclear but Double A is never coming back. Short season A ball is a hope and that means gates open again mid June of 2010. Maybe.

Blog future? Thought about it on the bus ride back from the NASCAR race in New Hampshire yesterday. It's says Connecticut Defenders at the top of the page after all and the Defs are soon to be no more. I do have the usual ton of pics and a readership that has grown and grown especially the last 12 months. It's a familar spot/routine for us both.
I'll keep it going thru the fall/winter/spring and we'll see what Opening Day in April sans Double A baseball feels like and I'll make another decision. The future of baseball at Dodd will be a big factor in that. If a short season team does come in 2010 I'll start blogging that team. I'll make it out to New Britain when the Richmond comes calling that's for sure; plus the blog boys will be spoiling for a reunion by then.
So starting tomorrow we'll go back to last season's Picture of the Day (POTD) format. That will be punctuated by Richmond news, short season news, pictures of past squads (I need to pick back up the 2005 team that I started earlier) and whatever else comes up. And I'm welcome to any suggestions to stuff you'd like to see.
Today is a beatiful New England day; wish there was a game this afternoon....

9 Comments:

Blogger thehondohurricane said...

I've thought a lot about last Wed and its finality. The final inning produced some ironic moments. A discussion in the stands complimented EME's steady play in the field for the year, yet his misplay of the fly ball in opened the floodgates. It was also mentioned that no one had gone deep to straight away center all year, and bingo, the final straw. But the cruelest was Tyler LaTorre being called out on strikes to end the game. It was so symbolic of all those crummy teams we had to endure in past years when called 3rd strikes were as common as a single thru the middle.

I'm on the fence about next year. The quality of play versus the comfort of a ball park. I hope for everyone's sake in SE Conn, I will have a choice to make, because it will mean baseball at Dodd.

3:56 PM

 
Blogger lance aka lc said...

the final game in CT featured three defenders called out on strikes to end innings, and in every instance runners were in scoring position. that hurt.

and i'm not sure how many walks eddie m. esteve drew in the playoffs but it was a lot. he was the playoff mvp in my opinion for sure.

12:14 AM

 
Blogger Tom Clifton said...

Greg,

Congrats on a great season of blogging. I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures.

I look forward to your POTD posts. It is an idea that I may have to borrow.

It has been a privilege to include your blog on the SJGiantsFans.org site.

Thanks again,
Tom

1:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

greg.

please give your wife a big hug for me.

what a special lady you have married to allow you to fully engage in one of your life's passions

and thank you again for all your hard work

and im still amazed that someone got a pic of hondo smiling

1:54 AM

 
Blogger thehondohurricane said...

bacci,

Sorry I disappointed you!

7:32 AM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

bacci--she was especially understanding this season since Double A ball was leaving forever and I went out the door 60+ times this season.

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Allen said...

Thanks for the information on your team. For selfish reasons I've been checking your site out since the news hit that the team was moving. I live in Richmond and while I definitely feel bad for the fans there I am anxious to have a team here. You've had a good following and here's to hoping you don't go too long w/out another team. Hope the fans here show as much loyalty as you have. Thanks again. Allen

2:17 AM

 
Blogger greg8370 said...

thanks Allen!

10:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home